Saturday, September 20, 2008

Blade Board Rocks!

I have always had a fascination with the Ripstik since it first came out, but never wanted to spend the $100 to get one. Recently, while looking for a ripstik on ebay, I discovered someone selling something similar called a Blade Board. A little research into blade board convinced me to get one. Both Blade Board and Ripstik are on casters, but the blade board is designed in such a way that it can be ridden forward and backwards, while ripstik cannot.

Anyway, I'm so glad I bought the thing because it feels great to ride one once you figure out how to make it work. I imagine it's similar to snowboarding. A skateboard, scooter, bike, etc., can only go in the direction they're facing. However, a caster board can go one direction while the board faces another. Like a snowboard, which goes downhill regardless of which way it's facing, the blade board can do the same thing but not quite to the degree that a snowboard can.

The other thing about a blade board (caster board) is the fact that you can propel yourself without ever taking your feet off the board. Watch the video below and you'll see what I'm talking about.



My son in the video (he's actually quite good but his wheel kept falling into the crack in the concrete) has just mastered the technique for propelling yourself. It's not as easy as it looks but once it "clicks" then it's like you've always been able to do it. The next thing to master is 180 and 360-degree turns. I am able to do the turns but often get tripped up by the rear caster at the end of the maneuver. When I get a chance I'll post a video online.

Anyway, it feels great to ride this thing. It has me very curious about snowboarding too, so I'll probably try snowboarding this winter.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home